MA- Journalism & Mass communication (MAJMC)
The School of Media and Mass Communication was established in the year 2013 by the decision of University management. The school has three professional programs viz, Bachelor in Journalism.
Besides theoretical courses, we train the students through a number of activities like anchoring, specialized reporting, camera handling, photography, video making, video editing, group discussions, seminars, workshops, symposiums, press conferences, media house visits, education institutional visits, to earn the required skills and practical knowledge useful to get employment. Students are also trained to handle different media equipment and software. They are sent for compulsory internship training in different areas of their interest to get a specialization of their choice after every semester. Some of the areas where students could venture to get employment are TV anchors, print and electronic media journalists, photojournalists, Public Relation Officers, Foreign Relation Officers, translators, Media Advisors in Govt, and organizations, and content writers for social media like- Facebook, Twitter, blogging, Instagram, scriptwriters, film directors, actors, event managers, etc. in the film industries, radio/FM writers and radio jockey, freelancers, work from home, UGC Projects, acquiring JRF and SRF qualifications and ICSR projects, self entrepreneurs in print media viz, magazines, weekly, monthly, fortnightly and newspapers, and audio-video productions.
At present we have more than 200 students from more than ten countries of the world doing Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Ph.D. in Journalism programs, and that is not seen in any other universities in Himachal Pradesh. ‘
The coming together of students from so many countries of the world is a great source of cultural amalgamation, communication, and learning that is unique and amazing here. To count a few, the Department of Journalism is well known for doing activities, such as the Blood Donation Camp on the historic Shimla Ridge (139 units) in 2014, the Photo Exhibition in Gaiety Theater Shimla, exhibiting several burning issues about Shimla city, appreciated by a large number of people in 2014 and 2016, film festivals (screening films made by students on burning issues such as ragging, women and children safety, Shimla- A heritage city, drug addiction, smoking hazard, etc.) in 2016 and 2018 and Seminars on burning topics like Indo- Pak Relations, Ethics in media and Digital Journalism in the year 2017. Besides, the Department has organized two media festivals at the university level where students from different universities and colleges in Himachal Pradesh did participate having competitions in different activities in the years 2015 and 2018.
Media Festival Souvenir was also published which was released on National Press Day by the Hon’ble Chief Minister, Shri Jai Ram Thakur on 16th November 2018 at Peterhoff Hotel Shimla. It is true that for employability, necessary skills and creative activities are imperative along with academics
- JOURNALISTS-TURNED-TEACHERS: Like doctors teach at medical colleges, seasoned and established journalists and media persons teach at School of Mass Media and Mass Communication. This along with teaching by academically oriented professors gives APG Shimla University a holistic edge.
- LEARN ALL THE SKILLS: Master the use of writing, audio, video, immersive media, illustrations, photography, public speaking, comparing, freelancing, debates, discussions, social media marketing, digital marketing and so on. Not just the technologies as everyone else teaches, but learn the skills to effectively use them with the rapidly changing technology.
- MULTIPLE CAREER OPTIONS: Our programs suit all the communication career pursuits—digital media publishing, social media enterprise, Print and TV Journalism, Radio careers and so on. Our programs are great for career in copy-writing for advertisements, documentary, news writing and film making, public relations, editing, video editing skills, media entrepreneurship, media academics research and so on.
- IMMERSIVE MEDIA STUDIO, CAMPUS RADIO & COMMUNITY RADIO: A dedicated Media Studio, Campus Radio and Community Radio for the students with latest recording, media production—News Production, Script Writing, Video Editing, News Reading, Program Presentation, Making Documentary Film and lecturing facilities.
- INTERNSHIP & TRAINING: School of Media and Mass Communication structured Internship and Training for the students in Shimla, Chandigarh, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangluru, etc. Our tie-ups with big media houses both in print, electronic media, and national & international media channels help students to get opportunities in abroad for internship and training and in India. School of Media and Mass Communication has collaboration with ‘TIMES NOW’, Lucknow & Noida, where media students had been going for one, two or six month’s media practical training in different fields.
- MEDIA ENTREPRENEURSHIP: At SOMMC, APG Shimla University, our students also learn the skills to become a media entrepreneur—-a very unique discipline keeping in mind the entrepreneurial spirit of the youth. Also BAJMC, MAJMC, B.SC. ANIMATION, Ph.D. degrees skill the students for practically all communication professions like Corporate Communications, PR, Content writing, and media research, etc.
- JOB PLACEMENT SUPPORT: We provide hundred percent job placement job supports to the students by means of referrals, job placement fair, media fest and much more. Besides, many media students placed in famous national media channels, newspapers, magazines, content writing for multinational companies, etc.
- STUDENTS WORKING IN: Many students are also working in ‘NATIONAL GEOGRAPHY CHANNEL’ ,’ INDIA TODAY MEDIA GROUP’, ‘ AAJ TAK media news channel’ , Haryana-Punjab-Himachal News Channel.
- EMINENT MEDIA FACULTY, EMINENT VISITING FACULTY FROM MAINSTREAM MEDIA & MENTORS: One of the biggest differentiations of School of Media and Mass Communication are the experience, exposure, quality, range, and network of our faculty. Our syllabus is taught by core faculties who are practicing mainstream media professionals and media academics. Some of the specialized subjects are taught by subject experts who are associated as visiting faculty.