Fashion designing was the kind of profession that was not pursued by many previously. Fashion design courses offered by some of the best fashion design colleges and their admission process in India have been on a surge in the recent past leading to an increase in the number of students pursuing a career in fashion designing. Fashion designers can choose between Haute Couture, Pret a Porter, apparel, mass market, shoes, and fashion accessory. Pursuing a fashion designing program enables aspirants to pursue career opportunities in a multitude of roles.
As per the NIRF rankings NIFT, AP Goyal Shimla University, Amity school of fashion technology, pearl academy – Jaipur, APGSU, Symbiosis Institute of Design – Pune, and a few others are some of the best fashion design colleges in India. Some of the premier institutes offering fashion designing programs have alumni earning salary slab of 14 – 16 lacs p.a. after completing the graduation. Fashion designing courses offered by the best fashion design colleges include subjects like 3-D design, color theory, textiles, computer-aided design, fashion drawing, a fashion business, and portfolio presentation. Fashion designing course admission in India requires a process to be followed.
Fashion designing colleges in India require applicants to have completed the entrance exams before admission in India. NIFT conducts entrance exams for courses like Bachelor of Design and Bachelor of Fashion Technology programs. The minimum eligibility to pursue these programs is successful completion of 10+2 from a recognized educational board from any discipline with a minimum of 50%. Merchandiser, textile designer, retail fashion consultant, management trainee, knitwear designer, fashion expert, garment sample coordinator, and a few other roles can be pursued by fashion designing degree holders.
Fashion designing courses are for 3 years and the course fee ranges from Rs.1000 to 5 lacs. Garment manufacturing Units, jewelry houses, leather companies, media houses, textile mills, export houses, and fashion show management/ export houses require fashion design graduates. Fashion designers learn the art of designing clothing and accessories. The best fashion design colleges offering fashion design courses require applicants to take relevant entrance tests and enable admissions through merit. The process of admission varies across colleges.
- Teaching, entrepreneurship, and research are a few other opportunities that can be pursued by a fashion designing degree holder.
- Fashion designing courses comprise of subjects like apparel construction methods, color mixing, fabric dyeing and printing, fashion studies, introduction to pattern making and garment construction, fashion studies, and a few others.
- The admission in fashion designing colleges requires applicants to have completed 10+2 from a government recognized board.
- Entrance exams and admission processes vary based on individual fashion design colleges.
- Fashion design courses provide students with excellent theory and practical knowledge of fabrics and industry.
- India has some of the best fashion design colleges.
Pursuing fashion designing has its challenges. India being the fashion hub has the highest demand for fashion designers. A variety of job roles are available for fashion design graduates to pursue a career. However, it is important to consider the right college that suits individuals. Fashion designing is the most trending career in recent years and attracts a huge number of students every year.