The days of carrying a bulky profile in print format and knocking doors for jobs are long gone. The world has considerably changed with digitization and technology. Professional requirements dictate all careers and hence interest is a driving factor behind the choice of career. Be it the job of a teacher, an engineer, a doctor, a tutor, a sports coach or anything else you need to have complete knowledge of what the stream entails and if you’d be interested in doing what it takes.
With the abundance of courses and careers and various distracting factors such as monetary benefits, common preference and the like, the choice is often difficult.With a lot of confusion in the regard, counseling at college level plays an important role in developing good career prospects. Career counseling is basically a process to understand yourself as well as the world of work better in order make career and life decisions. It is more than just what you want to earn after you graduate. It involves various prospects such as job responsibilities, entrance exams if any, salary, perks, and shifts of work etc. It is a form of guidance to young students to take them on the right path towards the right career which is one of the most important phases of adulthood.
AGU understands the importance of will as the foundation stone for a successful career. It hence takes up career counseling in order to bridge the gap between students and their satisfactorily employed selves.
Job Satisfaction is one of the most common aspects of your existence in the corporate world and yes not everyone is happy with their job. Most of the people study something and work on something else which is irrelevant to their subject of study. It is important to undergo career counseling in order to understand what a candidate is able to work upon and what his/her passion is. This leads to job satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with your job then it leads to frustration in everything else you do which in turn will cause a miserable lifestyle.
While placement efforts at AGU are always in line with course and student interests, that is often the next step, preceded by the right approach to making the students understand their area of interest and expertise. Proper career counselling is undertaken to make sure that students move towards satisfaction and not just monetary success. The placement efforts are then aligned with interests.
Pointers to choose a career
Here are a few pointers to note and ask yourself before you choose a career:
- What do I Love doing?
- What activities are fulfilling for me?
- What am I perfect at?
- What are my skills?
- What is my qualification meant for based on my degree?
- How much money do I need to be satisfied?
- What are the jobs in the city I want to live?
- Can I relocate if I get a job elsewhere?
- Are ethical values and morals important to me?
- Do I need a challenging career or something very easy?
- Can I compromise on a few factors?
These help a candidate understand the life of an employee better. With proper preparation of the above pointers an aspiring candidate is sure to get a good job and for this career counseling is important.
Career counseling approach at AGU involves comprehensive questionnaires and tests that entail similar questions or exercises that help deduce these answers. It is a great exercise of self-discovery that takes candidates to success.
Benefits of Career Counseling
At thecollege level, students are more exposed to what they study in their books and concentrate more on their exams. It becomes important for them to score good marks. But the actual job or a career has a lot more to understand and hence career counseling is important at thecollege level. It has the following benefits:
- Understand your potential: Many candidates are usually sure about their goals while there are some who are confused about their future. Career counselors conduct aptitude tests and counseling sessions to help students understand what they can do individually as well as in a team. The counseling results are the base for finding the right job and making a perfect decision. It also helps in knowing if a candidate should join to a higher course to achieve their goal.
- Understand the job: After knowing your potential, it is equally important to understand the job profile. The Career path or growth in that particular job you take upmust be understood carefully in order to have a happy and satisfying career. You can clarify any doubts about the job you are looking for so that you get a clear picture of what can be expected from the job and what is needed to be given to the work. Knowing true facts about the work you are going to do can be accomplished through career counseling.
A typical career counseling session at AGUinvolves one to one communication with a good counselor, an expert in that field that boosts the confidence of a student and transforms him/her into a good employee. Long term success is achieved through building a great level of motivation and self-esteem. It also improves the overall performance of a student. Emotional support is enhanced through the understanding of expanding your network and team building which is part of the career counseling sessions.
A lucrative career can be achieved by understanding your aptitude and performance metrics are not good indicators of aptitude.Career counseling and transformation from the life of a student to the life of a responsible adult is achieved through athorough understanding of needs and underlying goals that often stay encapsulated even from the student’s realization. Career counseling not only lets you get a good job but also shapes your personality as an individual.
Enrolment at AGU ensures the elimination of uncertainty and dissatisfaction because AGU cares and makes sure that you meet the right career. Itunderstands the need of satisfaction with a career and takes little steps towards it, right from the beginning.